Sleep apnoea is a common sleeping disorder found in 25% of men and 10% of women. A person with sleep apnoea will have repeated stop and start breathing issues while sleeping. He/she must treat the issue at the earliest, if not it will lead to varied problems. To know what is sleep apnoeain detail, its symptoms, and treatment for curing it, do scroll and read.
What Is Sleep Apnoea?
Sleep apnoea is a common yet serious sleeping disorder in a person. People’s sleep gets interrupted due to stop of breath. For some, it will be around 10 times while for a few others it will happen around 100 times at night. If the issue is not treated, then it will lead to severe health problems like hypertension, stroke, heart failure, heart attack, and diabetes. Apart from the health issues, it can also lead to a lack of concentration in works as well in studies. Also due to this problem, one may face car or motor vehicles while driving. Sleep apnoea can be classified into two types, obstructive sleep apnoea, and central sleep apnoea.
- Obstructive Sleep apnoea: It is the commonly faced issue of two. The main reason for the cause of obstructive sleep apnoea is due to complete or partial blockage of the upper airway. Due to this flow of oxygen reduces to other parts of the body and vital organs, making the heartbeat irregular.
- Central Sleep apnoea: In this type of sleep apnoea, the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. The main cause for its failure it’s due to instability in respiratory control.
Common Traits Of Sleep Apnoea
Sleep Apnoea is caused not only in adults but also in children.However, relatively the issue is seen in adults over the ages of 50s. There are traits that show the person or kid suffers from sleep apnoea. Signs and symptoms of sleep apnoea are as follows
- Excess amount of sleep during daytime
- Sound Snoring (But not all who snores are affected by sleep apnoea)
- Frequent awakening during night sleep
- Sore Throat upon awakening
- Disturbed Mood (Depressed or anxiety state)
- Frequent nighttime urination
Symptoms in children include
- Poor performance in academic
- Daytime mouth breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing
Treatment For Sleep Apnoea
In some cases, conservative treatment may be sufficient. Some of the treatments for sleep apnoea are as listed
- Can reduce the overweight. Weight loss in small amounts can yield positive results
- Avoiding Alcohol and sleeping pills
- People with sinus can use nasal sprays for comfortable airflow at the night.
If you find any of the symptoms in you or on your closed ones, consult a doctor. Don’t delay in making appointments as it may lead to severe issues. Proper treatment from the right doc can resolve the health complication and can yield good sleep.